Posts Tagged ‘us-05’

Fermentation all seems to be going well. We’re using SafAle US-05 to make a clean golden ale with hops cutting through the finish. The downside is that fermentation is never particularly spectacular with this particular yeast strain, and it isn’t highly flocculant, so not the best for bottling. Worth the extra care and a period in secondary for the crisper taste though.

We named it Boxshed Snow Drop for a few reasons. Outside the Boxshed the actual snow has now gone but the snowdrops are all coming through. We also have a little white Pekin hen called Snowdrop who is the only one of our birds to have laid through the cold Winter. But mainly, it should prove to be a nice Drop to have while watching the next deluge of Snow!

It’s a pretty selfish recipe, to be honest designed to be drunk by a motivated brewer! It’s over 90% pale malt and uses Target and Northdown as copper hops, with favourites East Kent Goldings and Mount Hood as aroma and steeping additions, all in large measures.

We went for a shorter brew length this time to enable a more vigorous boil without too much mess. A three stage batch sparge began with a cool mash and ended with a hot mash out. Sadly we lost a few litres to the copper when the pelleted hops swamped the hopstopper completely, but still managed to stow away 40 litres or so at the target gravity of 1.047. We’re hoping for a brew in the 4.4 – 4.6 ABV range.

Fermentation is taking place at the cooler end of the recommended scale at around 66-68 degrees, and we’ll test for progress towards 1.012 on Monday.

Really looking forward to drinking this one!

*EDIT: Checked progress on Monday after a pretty unspectacular fermentation to discover that both bins are already down to 1.013. That US-05 is a strange old yeast, but very effective! Brew looks pale and cloudy. We’ll leave it a little while longer and then transfer into secondary fermenters later this week to get rid of some of that yeast and trub and give it a chance to drop a bit clearer.

Read Full Post »

Blimey, the Boxshed is finally brewing again!

It’s been quite some time but this first brewday of 2010 will be a premium pale ale with plenty of hops, just how we like it.

Quite exciting really, so there’ll be more updates later, and hopefully a beer or two to fuel the brewer in the cold old shed…

It was really difficult to get a brew on after such a long hiatus and such a disappointment last time out. There was also Christmas and all those snow days to contend with between brews, which made it seem even longer (and the Boxshed colder and less inviting). Remember back when you were small and you spent the whole summer holidays riding bikes, climbing trees and making mud pies only to discover when back in school in September that you couldn’t even remember how to hold a pen? Well it’s a bit like that. Only with snowballs not mud pies. And a brewer’s paddle not a pencil.

But look, it really is happening – here’s the evidence! More updates on the actual recipe another day.

*Late night update : Sheer volume of pellet hops blocked up the hopstopper. We dropped a few litres short to avoid recirculating the fine hop powder, but still took enough for a couple of cornies in two FVs at 1.047

Read Full Post »

This is a desperate post created to relieve the tedium of a crawling train journey back from That London. I’m probably chugging past Witham or some other hell hole right now…

Anyway! Apologies for the grumpiness and iPhone-ness, but yesterday I moved this brew into secondary and thought it might be worth posting as the colour is so cool.

*Some good progress on the new stainless setup by the way. On the plus side, I have all the vessels and bits and pieces I need assembled, including new staging. On the downside I don’t have a working brewery in the meantime, so don’t expect much brewday action in the near future (although the last three brews still need to condition for drinking anyway!)

Read Full Post »

Here’s the usual gripping array of brewday photos! This time they’re from last night’s BHJ. There was no opportunity until this lunchtime to post I’m afraid:

Read Full Post »

Possible brew evening in the offing…

Boxshed Hop Juggler (BHJ)

Style: English Pale
Batch Size: 25 L
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %

4.35Kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) 94.6%
250g Torrified Wheat (3.3 EBC) 5.4%

Protofloc Tablet (15 min)
1 Pkgs US-05

Hop profile
Challenger, 7.5%AA, 35g at 90 min
Mount Hood, 6%AA, 25g at 15 min
Willamette, 35g at flame out

Bill and Batch
Mash Grain Weight: 4.6kg Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Grain Temperature: 13.0 C
Mash In Add 11.5L of water at 71.5C (65C) 90 min
Step Add 9.5L of water at 80.2 (72C) 10 min
Step Add 15.5L of water at 81.9C (76C) 10 min

Beer Profile
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.041
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.012
Estimated Color: 8.2 EBC
Bitterness: 38.3 IBU
Alpha Acid Units: 2.2 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 3.8%

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »